One of the most profound ways to experience the energetic nature of food is to eat it in its pure and natural state. In fact, if you’ve ever eaten organic food, you probably noticed that it tasted fresher and more flavorful. So it’s not surprising that organic food products are one of the fastest growing trends today – people are finally waking up to the benefits of a diet based on whole, natural foods.
Here are some interesting facts about eating organic…
- The President’s Cancer Panel suggests giving preference to organic food to avoid pesticides which have been linked to several types of cancers.
- Organic farming puts less strain on wildlife and the environment; these methods result in less air, water, and land pollution and produce less global warming gases.
- Unlike much of the food we see on grocery store shelves, organic food isn’t genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic food doesn’t contain harmful food additives, flavor enhancers (i.e. MSG), artificial sweeteners (i.e. aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (i.e. mercury) or preservatives (i.e. sodium nitrate), that have been linked to a multitude of health problems.
- Organic food appears to promote weight loss since it reduces exposure to chemical pesticides which bind to fat. In fact, once absorbed, these pesticides may stay in the body for a lifetime (over 350 chemicals can accumulate in our body fat)!
- Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Not only is this better for human consumption, but organic meat and dairy with the labels “free range” and “pasture fed” means that the animals were treated in a more humane and ethical manner.
- Organic fruits and vegetables contain up to 40% more antioxidants than conventional produce; organic milk from pasture raised cows contains up to 90% more antioxidants than non-organic milk.
- Organic foods have higher levels of beneficial minerals such as iron and zinc, minerals crucial to early child development.
Locally available organic foods and pastured meats:
- Fruits and Vegetables delivered to Mountain Sage Nursery: Outer Aisle Foods
- Foothill Grass fed Meats
- Big Creek Meadow Ranch
- Montezuma Angus available at Here’s the Scoop in Jamestown
- Organic Raw Milk, Butter, Cheese and Kefir:
- Organic Pastures Organic Raw Milk, Butter, Cheese, and Kefir available online
- AND at Natures Whole Food Depot in Standard
- ALSO available by ordering at Groveland Co-op at our office 209-962-0662. Delivery evey 2 weeks